Resources - Freeware
- 7-Zip is a file archiver with a very high LZMA compression ratio that is up to at least 10% better than the ratios provided by PKZip or WinZip. It is open source software, and most of the source code is under the GNU LGPL license. 7-Zip fully supports the 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2, and TAR formats, and can decompress the RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, MSI, WIM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB, and NSIS formats.
- Adobe Reader
- Adobe Reader software is the global standard for electronic document sharing. The PDF file viewer can open and interact with all PDF documents. Use Adobe Reader to view, search, digitally sign, verify, print, and collaborate on Adobe PDF files.
- Adobe Flash Player
- The Flash Player is a cross-platform browser plug-in that delivers breakthrough web browsing experiences to over 98% of Internet users. Flash content has become the de-facto standard for high-performance multimedia enhancements of web sites on the client-side.
- Adobe Shockwave Player
- The Shockwave Player displays web site content that has been created by Adobe (Macromedia) Director, including dazzling 3D games and entertainment, interactive product demonstrations, and online learning applications.
- CD Burner XP
- CDBurnerXP is a free Windows XP/Vista application that burns CDs and DVDs, including Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs. It also includes the feature to burn and create ISOs, and the interface supports multiple languages. Everyone, even companies, can use it for free.
- Far Manager
- Far Manager is a technical utility program (modelled after a well-known DOS program called Norton Commander) for managing files and archives in Windows operating systems. Although Far Manager works in text mode, it is a native Windows application (not a DOS program) that provides a simple and intuitive interface for performing most of the necessary actions related to managing files and directories, FTP sites, system processes, and much more. The web site also includes an extensive 3rd party plug-in library that extends the functionality of Far Manager in some amazing ways.
- FLV Player
- FLV Player is a standalone utility by Martijn de Visser that plays Adobe Flash Video (FLV and H.264 / MPEG-4) files. It is compatible with Windows 2000, XP, and Vista, supports both local and internet streaming content, and has full screen mode.
- Google Earth
- Google Earth lets you fly anywhere on Earth to view satellite imagery, maps, terrain, 3D buildings and even explore galaxies in the Sky. You can explore rich geographical content, save your toured places and share with others.
- Apple's application for playing and organizing digital music and video files, free university audio and video course lectures (see "iTunes U" in the iTunes Store), tuning in to thousands of radio stations over the internet, and managing the contents of iPod, iPhone, and other digital devices.
The 64-bit native version is difficult to find on Apple's web site, and can be downloaded from here (if you attempt to install the 32-bit version in a 64-bit environment, you will be notified and the installation won't succeed).
- Open Office
- Open Office is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases, and more. It is available in many languages and works on all common computers. It stores all your data in an international open standard format, and can also read and write files from other common office software packages. It is completely free of charge, and does not require activation or registration.
- PDF Creator
- PDF Creator is a virtual printer driver that generates a PDF file (with convenient options to save or send by eMail using your default eMail software), which makes creating PDFs from any application as fast and effortless as printing to a typical laser printer.
- Skype is free software that allows users to place telephone calls (and videophone calls) using the internet without needing to subscribe to land-based or wireless telephone service. Calls to other users of the service and to free-of-charge numbers are free. Additional features include instant messaging, file transfer, and video conferencing.
- TightVNC is a free remote control software package derived from the popular VNC software. With TightVNC, you can see the desktop of a remote machine and control it with your local mouse and keyboard, just like you would do it sitting in the front of that computer (not compatible with Windows Vista; use UltraVNC instead). You can also transfer files with the current release. We recommend that you also download and install the "DFMirage mirror display driver," which can be found in the "recommended add-ons" section of the TightVNC download page, to enhance remote control performance.
- UltraVNC is a powerful, easy to use and free software that can display the screen of another computer (via internet or network) on your own screen. The program allows you to use your mouse and keyboard to control the other PC remotely. Also supports Windows Vista, but includes built-in sponsor advertisements on some GUI dialogues.
- VLC Media Player
- VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files (including FLV, MP3, MP4, MOV, AVI, etc.) as well as DVD, Audio CD, VCD, and various streaming protocols.